With the injury to Cub Swanson forcing his fight with Erik Koch off the UFC 132 card in Las Vegas, two hungry up-and-coming fighters will get a golden opportunity to show they have what it takes to compete in the UFC.
UFC President Dana White confirmed that bantamweights Jeff Hougland and Donny Walker will be fighting to make their mark on the division on July 2nd.
Tavares Replaces Mayhem vs. Simpson updated May 30
Aaron "A-Train" Simpson has received a new opponent for his UFC 132 bout, Dana White announced today. TUF 11 semi-finalist Brad Tavares has verbally agreed to the middleweight matchup. Tavares' last fight was at UFC 125 on New Year's Day, where he TKOd veteran Phil Baroni.
Simpson's original opponent, Jason “Mayhem” Miller, has been tapped to coach the 14th season of The Ultimate Fighter, which begins filming in June.
Dos Anjos In for Dunham vs. Sots updated May 3
An injury has forced lightweight up-and-comer Evan Dunham to drop out of his planned July 2 fight against George Sotiropoulos. Rafael Dos Anjos has verbally agreed to fight in his place. "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Dos Anjos has won Fight of the Night and Submission of the Night awards and Sotiropoulos has won Fight of the Night twice so I expect an amazing fight," said UFC president Dana White.
“Mayhem” vs Simpson at UFC 132 updated April 23
Longtime middleweight and welterweight contender Jason “Mayhem” Miller will return to the UFC for the first time since 2005 when he battles Aaron Simpson in a UFC 132 bout in July.
“Crafty veteran and colorful personality Jason “Mayhem” Miller has verbally agreed to make his UFC return against powerful wrestler Aaron “A-Train” Simpson in a middleweight matchup July 2 in Las Vegas,” said UFC President Dana White.
The 30 year old Miller (24-7, 1 NC) has been one of the most visible mixed martial artists in the world over the course of his decade long pro career, defeating the likes of Robbie Lawler, Denis Kang, Hiromitsu Miura, and Tim Kennedy. A WEC vet, Miller’s lone UFC appearance was a hard-fought decision loss to current UFC welterweight king Georges St-Pierre at UFC 52 in April of 2005. Since then, he is 12-3 with 1 NC, and he is coming off a first round submission win over Japanese legend Kazushi Sakuraba last September.
The hard-hitting Simpson (8-2) is coming off a three round unanimous decision victory over Mario Miranda in March that broke a two fight losing streak.
Bowles to Fight Mizugaki at UFC 132 updated April 18
Cruz vs. Faber 2 won't be the only high-octane 135-pound bout inside the Octagon on July 2, as another battle of WEC vets has been verbally agreed upon for the event. “Brian Bowles looks to regain the bantamweight championship title, but first he’ll have to take on hard-hitting perennial top-10 contender Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 132,” said Dana White.
A win for Bowles would make him a serious contender to face the winner of Cruz and Faber's bantamweight title fight, the main event at UFC 132. Bowles lost the title to Cruz in March of 2009.
Winner vs. Njokuani Added to UFC 132 updated April 14
If names like Condit, Cruz, Wandy and Leben on the card weren't guaranteed fireworks, the latest bout should convince you: “Get ready for what should be a standup war as verbal agreements are in for Andre Winner VS Anthony Njokuani July 2nd,” said UFC president Dana White.
Brit Winner is a TUF 9 finalist with boxing and karate roots; Njokuani is a WEC vet who brought him three Knockout of the Night bonuses in that organization before scoring Fight of the Night at his UFC debut in March.
Condit and Kim Agree to UFC 132 Showdown updated April 8t
Undefeated Korean Judo specialist Dong Hyun Kim has verbally agreed to face former WEC champion Carlos “The Natural Born Killer” Condit at UFC 132 in Las Vegas on July 2nd.
“A win over Condit would break Kim into the top ten and a win over Kim would bring Condit another step closer to a world title shot,” said UFC President Dana White.
Koch vs. Swanson Slated for 132 updated April 8
Two of the most exciting fighters in the featherweight division have verbally agreed to face each other on July 2nd at UFC 132.
"Rising star Erik Koch, who took home Knockout of the Night at the stacked UFC 128 event, will take on Cub Swanson, who earned Fight Of The Night honors in his last outing," said Dana White.
WEC talent will also be showcased at the main event of UFC 132, a bantamweight title fight - the first to be held in the UFC's Octagon - between Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber.
Wanderlei Gets Leben updated April 4
The 4th of July fireworks will kick off early in Las Vegas when “The Axe Murderer” faces “The Crippler” in a UFC 132 bout almost guaranteed not to last the three round distance.
“Two fan favorites will go to war as Chris 'The Crippler' Leben has verbally agreed to face Wanderlei 'The Axe Murderer' Silva in Las Vegas July 2nd,” said UFC President Dana White.
Wanderlei has been actively campaigning for this matchup on his Twitter page, writing that he thinks it'll be a tough fight against a good opponent.
Fitch Injured, out of Penn Bout - updated March 30th
UFC welterweight contender Jon Fitch was injured during training for his upcoming rematch with BJ Penn and forced to withdraw from the UFC 132 bout on July 2nd. Stay tuned to UFC.com for any further developments.
Cruz vs. Faber II on July 2 - updated March 26th
UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz will get an opportunity to avenge the lone loss of his career at UFC 132 on July 2nd, as he has verbally agreed to face former featherweight boss Urijah Faber in what is slated to be the main event.
"This is the biggest bantamweight title fight ever, as UFC 135-pound champion Dominick Cruz has verbally agreed to face Urijah Faber at UFC 132 in July," said UFC President Dana White. "Cruz is unbeaten at bantamweight, but he's looking for revenge against the only man to beat him at 145 pounds, former champ Faber."
Ortiz vs. Bader at UFC 132 - updated March 22nd
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz, who pulled out of his
March 26th headlining bout against Rogerio Nogueria due to injury, has
recovered and is back in fighting shape. "This MMA legend will meet top
UFC contender Ryan Bader at UFC 132," said UFC president Dana White,
confirming that Ortiz and Bader have verbally agreed to a July bout.
Bader is looking to rebound from a loss to newly crowned champ Jon Jones at UFC
Wiman vs Siver Agreed to for UFC 132
updated March 17th
It will be a battle of 155-pound division hot streaks, when Matt
Wiman puts his three fight winning streak on the line against Germany's
Dennis Siver, who has won three in a row as well, including a UFC 127
win over George Sotiropoulos. This UFC 132 matchup was agreed to today.
Said UFC President Dana White, “Lightweights coming off of
impressive wins face off in Vegas as Matt Wiman and Dennis Siver have
verbally agreed to fight July 2nd.”
Fitch vs. Penn 2, Dunham vs. Sots On For 132 updated March 16
Reports of The Prodigy's retirement have been greatly exaggerated:
Dana White confirmed today that BJ Penn and Jon Fitch have verbally
agreed to rematch at UFC 132.
The welterweights first met in the main event of UFC 127, a
number-one contender bout that ended in a draw. "Both fighters look to
keep it out of the hands of the judges this time," said White.
The stacked lightweight division will also see two of its
fastest-rising stars meet over Fourth of July weekend: White confirmed
that Evan Dunham and George Sotiropoulos have verbally agreed to a bout
at UFC 132.