Mousasi finishes Belfort to extend win streak to 3

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 08: (R-L) Gegard Mousasi of The Netherlands kicks Vitor Belfort of Brazil in their middleweight bout during the UFC 204 Fight Night at the Manchester Evening News Arena. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC)Perennial middleweight contender Gegard Mousasi put himself squarely in the title picture at 185 pounds in the UFC 204 co-main event on Saturday, as he stopped Vitor Belfort in the second round at Manchester Arena.

“He’s a legend, fighting him was an honor,” Mousasi, who has won three straight, said.

Mousasi dictated the pace in the first round, staying busier throughout the frame and punctuating his attack with a stiff 1-2 in the final minute. Belfort had success in spurts, but he wasn’t consistent enough to rattle Mousasi.

RELATED: UFC 204 main card reaction - Jimi Manuwa backstage interview | Stefan Struve backstage interview | Mirsad Bectik backstage interview

In the second minute of round two, a right kick to the head by Mousasi rocked Belfort and sent him into the fence. A barrage of punches followed, but Belfort was able to survive. Mousasi kept the pressure on though, as he took Belfort to the mat and continued his assault. And after getting into the mount position, it was game over, as more unanswered blows brought referee Marc Goddard in to stop the fight at 2:43 of the second stanza.

With the win, the No. 9-ranked Mousasi upped his record to 40-6-2; the No. 5-ranked Belfort falls to 25-13.

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 08: (L-R) Jimi Manuwa of England punches Ovince Saint Preux in their light heavyweight bout during the UFC 204 Fight Night at the Manchester Evening News Arena. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC)MANUWA vs SAINT PREUX

London’s Jimi Manuwa made a statement in his bout with fellow light heavyweight contender Ovince Saint Preux, scoring a second round knockout of his foe.

Surprisingly, much of the first round was waged in the clinch and on the mat, with Manuwa initiating much of the action, but Saint Preux appearing to be more comfortable and effective wherever the fight went.

Manuwa began getting his striking game in gear in round two, and he landed effectively with both hands. OSP had little response for the Londoner, who weakened his foe with body shots before a right hand sent him to the deck. Saint Preux rose quickly, but a left hand put him down and out, with referee Leon Roberts calling a stop to the fight at 2:38 of the second frame.

The No. 8-ranked Manuwa moves to 16-2 with the win. The No. 5-ranked Saint Preux falls to 19-9.

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 08: Stefan Struve of The Netherlands (top) punches Daniel Omielanczuk of Poland in their heavyweight bout during the UFC 204 Fight Night at the Manchester Evening News Arena. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC)STRUVE vs OMIELANCZUK

In a clash of European heavyweight contenders, the Netherlands’ Stefan Struve submitted Poland’s Daniel Omielanczuk in the second round.

The first round was fairly even in the early going, with Omielanczuk having some success getting inside with his strikes, and Struve answering back with kicks and knees to the body. But a little past the midway point, Struve tripped Omielanczuk to the mat and went to work, controlling his opponent as he looked for the submission. He didn’t get it, but it likely locked up the round for him.

Struve got Omielanczuk to the mat in the second minute of round two, and this time the “Skyscraper” locked in a D’Arce choke that finished matters at the 1:41 mark.

With the win, the No. 12-ranked Struve moves to 32-8; the No. 14-ranked Omielanczuk, who was finished for the first time in his career, falls to 19-6-1 with 1 NC.

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 08: Mirsad Bektic of Bosnia submits Russell Doane in their featherweight bout during the UFC 204 Fight Night at the Manchester Evening News Arena. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC)BEKTIC vs DOANE

Rising featherweight star Mirsad Bektic made his first start since May of 2015 a successful one, as he submitted Russell Doane in the first round of the main card opener.

The No. 15-ranked Bektic (11-0) got the fight to the mat in the second minute, and while Doane (14-7) got to his feet three times, the Bosnia native grounded him each time in response. With under two minutes left, Bektic took control, and after patiently working for an opening, he sunk in the rear naked choke that ended the bout at 4:22 of the first round.

Doane, who took the fight on Monday, was the third opponent for Bektic, replacing the injured Arnold Allen and Jeremy Kennedy.


Watch the final press conference for the main event of Mayweather vs McGregor on Wednesday, Aug. 23 at 4pm/1pm ETPT live from the KA Theater in MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Aug 23, 2017
UFC correspondent Megan Olivi spoke to fans of both Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather as both fighters made their grand arrival to signify the start of fight week in Las Vegas ahead of the massive event.
Aug 22, 2017
UFC president Dana White and UFC Vice President of Athlete Health and Performance Jeff Novitzky answer questions for assembled media about Jon Jones potential Anti-Doping violation stemming from an in-competition test before UFC 214.
Aug 22, 2017
Following a seventh week of great fights on the Tuesday Night Contender Series, Dana White talks backstage about how he chose this week's winners.
Aug 22, 2017